The area where Baqueira is located is one of the best protected natural spaces in Southern Europe. It is a true paradise for nature lovers with over 200 lakes (estanys) plus rivers, waterfalls, wild mountains and lush forests. But we can’t forget and highlight its wonderful night sky.
A certified tourist destination
In October 2018, the National Park* & its surroundings received its certification as a Starlight Tourist Destination and Reserve by the UNESCO. This certification came as a recognition of the excellent sky quality and as an example of their commitment to protecting the quality of the night sky.
Starlight Tourist Destinations are locations with ideal conditions for observing the stars and where light pollution is controlled. This makes them logical destinations for tourism based on the appreciation of the sky as part of the natural world.
Today, there are only 10 starlight reserves worldwide. Therefore, do not lose out on this incredible opportunity to see the stars as you have never seen them before.
At Sun Ski Trips, we are offering you the opportunity to enjoy a safari or tour that will be a comprehensive stargazing activity for all.
We propose an exciting tour through the stars under the amazing night sky of the Aran Valley. The activity begins by discovering the sky with an informative explanation of what we hope to see on the evening and what we know about the universe. Next, we will observe the sky with the naked eye, guided by the astronomer’s laser, recognizing the visible constellations, their mythology, and some tips to orient yourself at night.
Finally, let’s get to the most exciting: an incredible tour through the most interesting celestial objects visible in the sky through the astronomical telescope!
With this tour, you will have the opportunity to see not only stars and constellations but planets too!
There are quite a lot of viewpoints in the area, and depending on weather & sky conditions, the place to take the activity may vary.
When viewing the stars, it is important to remember that:
- The nights are colder than the day so we strongly recommend you to bring your winter clothing. The best thing would be to bring different layers!
- Always respect the peace of the area and avoid making noise
- You may use binoculars and other gadgets so you can really appreciate the night sky
- It’s preferable to use a red-light flashlight and turn it off when not needed to avoid light pollution
- Follow the signposted routes to guarantee the safety
- As always in the mountains, take any litter with you and leave nothing behind!
* The periphery and the Aiguestortes i Estany de Sant Maurici National Park